How to be a Professional Salesperson.©
Free Sales Training Video Series – Your New Account: Part 1 – Research
Your new account: Part 1 – Research
If you take over an existing account, you want to make sure the people in that account will be glad you’ve arrived. However, you will not start off well by calling up and saying, “Hi, I’m your new sales rep. How’s everything going?” They know how everything’s going for them. If they really needed your help with a problem they were having, they probably would have called you. With that opening line they’re thinking you believe you just found a gold mine.
A good approach when you’re taking over an existing customer is to treat the introductions like they are a brand new prospect. It’s actually much easier since you know their history with your company. Before you make your first call to them:
- Study any notes on the account in your CRM system.
- Look at the products they purchased and the dollar amounts spent.
- Read through any support or customer services issues.
- Talk with other people in your company that have worked with them.
- Find something of value for them that the previous sales rep did not deliver. It doesn’t have to be a new product or add-on for them to buy. It’s usually better if you don’t try to sell them something right away.
- See if they are using what they have already purchased, as well as possible.
- Find trends, research or anything else that could be of value to them.
- Research their competition.
Now you’re ready to make the call.
To order my complete sales system from Amazon, just click the book.
And, contact me to explore a live or phone training session.